In the following article will be broken down the types of margins for jobs that should be used for the writing and preparation of some academic work that will be done in school, school or university.
These margins take into account each of the standards for the preparation of written works (essays, theses, research, monographs, among others).
The following indications will allow the student to know how to assign the margins for the presentation of their document:
Margénes for work with Icontec Standards
First of all it is important to explain that these norms are a sequence of guidelines to be used in written works such as: essays, investigations, reports, reports, etc.
For the correct presentation of margins for works of this type, these should be assigned:
- Upper margin: This should be three centimeters
- Left margin: For the left margin should be four centimeters in case of binding, if delivered with hooks should be three centimeters.
- Right margin: It should be two centimeters.
- Bottom margin: It should be three centimeters.
- In case the document is printed on both sides, all margins should be three centimeters.
The page number should be two centimeters and located in the center.
The paper size can be selected in page layout, by going to the “size” option and choosing “letter size”.
It is recommended that the line spacing of the job be simple.
After a separate point the line spacing should be left to two simple lines.
Margénes for work with APA Standards
The APA Standards are known as a series of standards with which all international type works must be presented.
They can be used for any type of document, however it is recommended for those works related to research, thesis and other academic texts.
For the correct presentation using this type of norms, the margins for works should be assigned in the following way:
All margins should be 2.54 centimeters (top, left, right, bottom).
For indentation, five spaces must be left in the first line of each paragraph.
Margins for covers and covers
Both in the case of margins for work with Icontec Standards and for the APA Standards, the cover will have the same margins previously explained throughout the entire document.
So, guide yourself through the aforementioned and review the following instructions to implement the margins of your work:
How to set up Word for margin editing
These are the steps to configure the margins of the pages that will be made taking into account the most common standards for the realization of written works:
- Go to design, then select page layout.
- Custom margins.
- Edit the centimeters of each of the sides, according to what was explained above.
- How to add page numbers
- It is important to keep in mind that the pages should be listed as of the introduction.
Once this has been defined, you should go to the page layout, click on the “jump” option, choose the option called “next page”, and place the cursor on the job’s introduction page. Finish by clicking on the tab called “insert” choosing the option “page number”, and then “end of the page”, number that should be unformatted and centered.
How to enter a bibliographic reference
The student must write the surname of the author they wish to quote and go to the option “insert footnote”. This quote will mention the ideas presented by the author that were used to complement the work done.
How to add tables and images
Tables are tools that allow the reader to understand more easily the ideas and assumptions exposed in a written work. The tables of contents and tables of images will be very useful for anyone who is reading the document.
To add images you must select the “insert” option, and choose the image.
Once the image is inside the document, you must go to the option “insert title”.
To add table of images, you must go to the menu “references” and then select “insert table of illustrations”.
Practical advice to write a written work in the best way:
- Before starting to write, it is important to make an outline about the topic that is to be treated, in order to structure the information collected.
- Organizing the ideas will allow the student to carry out an excellent writing and development of the text.
- Be concise and use an appropriate vocabulary.
- Write the work in the third person.
- Read the final result before presenting it, in this way the student may perceive errors.
- Make good use of punctuation marks that will be essential for good writing.
- Use the correct connectors that will preserve the uniformity of the writing.
- Ask people who know the subject to read the text, in this way they can be critical of the content of the writing and allow the student to improve and correct some details that are in the document or research.
- And make sure you use the margins set for your work whether you’re using APA Standards or Icontec Standards
- Following these steps and investigating previously on the subject to be treated, the student will be able to present an excellent work.